Safe Driving In Namibia
In order to breathe deeply and relax in this country, the right travel preparations are quite important. Namibia is a country of vastness and great distances. Our hint: rather plan short travel routes and stay a night longer here or there.
Roads are usually well paved. When planning your trip one should always bear in mind that only 40% of Namibian roads are tarred. The remaining 60% are gravel roads.
Depending on the appearance of the roads they are subdivided into B, C and D roads. B-roads are tarred and C-roads are wide and relatively well prepared gravel roads. D-roads on the other hand can most of the time only be accessed with a four-wheel drive.
Namibia adheres to left-hand driving. Long distances, especially on lonely gravel roads, need a high degree of concentration as not to move over to the right-hand side. Oncoming traffic often appears out of the blue.
Busy gravel roads have a phenomenon that cannot be found in Europe: so called corrugated roads. Sand and gravel are compacted by the frequent traffic and as the name indicates, the ground forms a sort of corrugated pattern. Driving on corrugated gravel roads calls for slow and cautious driving behaviour, as driving too fast decreases road adherence. Car hire companies therefore usually only allow a maximum speed of 80 km/h on gravel roads.
Dune off-road trips are prohibited for safety reasons by most car rental companies.
However, if you would like to drive in the dunes, there are several operators who offer this pleasure trips in there own cars. A relaxing vacation should not end as the photo shows.
Glaring sunlight, heat haze and dust makes assessing distances very imprecise. We suggest leaving the headlights on in order to be seen by any oncoming traffic on time.
At the start of twilight one should have arrived at the desired accommodation or camping site, as wildlife increases and dust and light from the sunset increases the risk of accidents.
Namibia offers wonderfully located camping sites and now and then one can pitch a tent wherever one feels like. As all over the world it is self-evident to leave the camping site clean and tidy when leaving, as Namibia’s breathtaking nature should be kept forever.
To avoid unnecessary stopovers you should always make sure that the tank has enough diesel/petrol. Africa on Wheels fits all its vehicles with 2 spare wheels, and the Double Cabs with an extra fuel tank.
Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are at your disposal.
Your Africa on Wheels team
Africa on Wheels and mobilianz GmbH decided on a joint cooperation at the International Tourism FAIR ITB 2018 in Berlin. A specially tailored off-road training for the individual traveller and self-driver has been developed which works as the ideal preparation for experiencing southern Africa on your own.